[lbo-talk] socially irresponsible investment

Michael Dawson MDawson at pdx.edu
Thu Apr 14 11:48:34 PDT 2005

But bad past politics shouldn't foreclose better future ones! (If that were true, then the USSR should have made us all capitalists, right?) I'm totally against telling people what products to choose. But I am also totally in favor of helping people see the coercion and subsidies behind the choices they have and don't have.

The answer to old-school leftists' product-snobbery is not Carrol's acceptance of cigarettes and dismissal of product politics. It is to show people how they have been pushed and pulled into having to deal with cigarettes. If you eliminate the tobacco subsidy, expose the marketing ploys, spread treatment and education programs, and talk about the social and biological sources of addiction, and, if, after 100 years of giving that time to work, then, yes, fuck whoever smokes. But to just accept cigarettes and cars? That's a death sentence on millions of human beings, is it not?