[lbo-talk] Peak Oil or Oil Bubble?

Jordan Hayes jmhayes at j-o-r-d-a-n.com
Thu Apr 14 18:58:14 PDT 2005

Doug writes, replying to me:

>> London has a similar grid, but we've heard here before
>> that car use in the greater London area has been growing
>> at around the same pace as seen here in the US.
>
> Brits drive a *lot* less than Americans. If you'd read "Driving
> Madness" <http://www.leftbusinessobserver.com/DrivingMadness.html>,
> you'd know this!

You're right, I hadn't gotten around to it yet, but now that you mention it, the graphs at least show the US at around 5,500 miles per year and the UK (which of course isn't London, which would be higher, no?) about 4,000. So I wouldn't call that a "*lot*" less. Similarly, in cars per 1,000 people the US looks like it's around high 400s and the UK is more like the high 300s. And of course your article goes a long way to explaining the differences, which seem to make sense. But not in the context of my statement, which was in response to Wojtek's anecdote about Paris.

Was this refuted?

http://mailman.lbo-talk.org/2002/2002-March/006928.html