[lbo-talk] Peak Oil or Oil Bubble?

Erik Hetzner ehetzner at gmail.com
Fri Apr 15 00:46:46 PDT 2005

When I lived in College Point, Queens, I took a 15 minute bus ride to the last stop on the 7 train, then about 1 hour into Manhattan on the express.

But it was still better than the taking BART from Oakland to San Francisco. Trains every 20 minutes. Price > $3 under the bay. No monthly pass, so its hugely expensive. And you are lucky or careful if you manage to live less than 1/2 hours walk from the BART station. And it stops running at midnight.

In the Bay area, you can live without a car if you live in the heart of San Francisco. And if you live there you can afford a car. Everywhere else, it would be a struggle. If the nominally progressive SF bay area can't manage to put together a half-way decent public transit system, could any other place in the US?

If the effect of $5+/gallon gasoline were to improve this situation, would city-living workers not gain in the longer term?

Erik