[lbo-talk] Peak Oil or Oil Bubble?

Wojtek Sokolowski sokol at jhu.edu
Fri Apr 15 07:31:31 PDT 2005

Johns Thornton:
> Hoping for something like this that will cause such real stress on working
> people really surprises me.

I guess it depends where you live. In Baltimore and central PA suburbs, the so-called 'working people' are the worst war mongers and jingoistic assholes I've seen in my life, engaging in behaviors such as: - throwing parties to support bombing of Baghdad and 'our effort' there - displaying en masse bumper stickers that read, inter alia: "George Bush = July 4, John Kerry - April 15" "Hanoi John Kerry" "Hanoi Fonda Jane" (what is it about this redneck fixation with Hanoi anyway? This was 30 years ago!), countless anti-abortion, anti-gay, god bless our troops and god bless America slogans; or simply pro-Bush and NRA stickers; - trying to push bicyclists of the road with their truck, throwing bottles at them, etc, - liberal and intellectual bashing whenever they have a chance.

On the other hand, in the gentrified area of Baltimore where I live I see the "yuppie" crowd displaying bumper stickers that are anti-war, pro-choice, pro civil rights for gays, pro-environment, and pro John Kerry. The same folk shop in health food stores whose benefit include, inter alia, freedom from tabloids and patriotic merchandise (ribbons, flags, etc.), they support plans to develop public transportation and bicycle paths, volunteer on community projects, etc.

So for me the choice is quite clear - if that is what the 'working class' in Amerikkka stands for, I have no problem saying 'fuck them' and sticking with the yuppies.

Wojtek