[lbo-talk] socially irresponsible investment

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Fri Apr 15 08:30:38 PDT 2005

tully wrote:

>I didn't say non-profit. I said worker-owned, a profit sharing
>arrangement where the workers decide how much of the profit is plowed
>back into the business and how much they share amongst themselves.
>It may not be strict marxism, but isn't it alot closer than current
>capital-owned business?

Such a business will have to compete with capitalist enterprises, so all the pretty intentions of the founders of your enterprise will be under enormous pressure to shape up. Marx says somewhere that competition is like the drumbeat that says, "March! March!" I'm not one to get scriptural with Old Whiskers, but he had a point there.

Doug