[lbo-talk] socially irresponsible investment

Miles Jackson cqmv at pdx.edu
Fri Apr 15 08:51:31 PDT 2005

On Thu, 14 Apr 2005 jthorn65 at sbcglobal.net wrote:

> Surplus funds for retirement are different than day to day expenses.
> Pretending they are the same is not helpful. I know some on this list
> don't like the term surplus income but if one has income that is not
> needed to maintain day to day living expenses and one is free to choose
> to invest them or spend them on accumulating personal property it is
> surplus income.

I definitely don't see the money I put away in my retirement pension as "surplus" income: it's going to pay necessary living expenses when I retire. Without my pension, I'll lose my house when I retire (no way SS is going to cover all my expenses). You don't mean to imply that people should work wage jobs until they die, do you?

The upshot: good jobs that cover current expenses and also help people cover their expenses when they retire should be the norm in our society, not a privilege for some.

Miles