[lbo-talk] Russia opposes U.S. plan for deployment of weapons in space

uvj at vsnl.com uvj at vsnl.com
Sat Apr 16 12:13:55 PDT 2005

The Hindu

Thursday, Apr 14, 2005

Russia opposes U.S. space plan

Vladimir Radyuhin

MOSCOW: Russia's Defence Minister, Sergei Ivanov, has denounced United States plans to place weapons in orbit.

"We are categorically against the deployment of weapons in space - this is Russia's position," Mr. Ivanov said on Wednesday.

He was commenting on a statement the head of the U.S. Missile Defence Agency that the U.S. was establishing an anti-missile capability which will include space-based weapons.

"I do not see how weapons deployed in space can counter new threats, such as terrorism," the Russian defence chief said.

Copyright © 2005, The Hindu.