[lbo-talk] socially irresponsible investment

amadeus amadeus amadeus482000 at yahoo.com
Sat Apr 16 15:41:33 PDT 2005

There's another social implication of collectivist enterprises in capitalist society-- not everyone comes into these things on a level playing field. This has certainly been my experience. In rock bands I've been in that are supposed to be egalitarian, there's always one person who has equipment to lend out, or someone who has access to a cheap practice space. In cooperative businesses, there was always someone who had a little more in terms of resources or expertise to contribute. These people, at the bottom line, ended up wielding hierarchical power since they held something and they that person or the rest of us felt they s/he owed something back. It's only when the class system and scarcity are abolished that we can really start talking about democratic and collective organization.

"Mary Poppins is alive and well in Argentina, she sends her regards." - Rod McKuen, The Mud Kids