[lbo-talk] Susie Bright on AD in AU

Catherine Driscoll catherine.driscoll at arts.usyd.edu.au
Sun Apr 17 04:35:28 PDT 2005

Susie Bright says (via Doug):

> >that's not true about Australia, i think she's a lttle off. I hear
> >from feminists in AU all the time about this subject, and my own
> >movie shows have been banned from entering the country because they
> >are 'degrading to women"...

I'm not saying there are no anti-pornography feminists in Australia, and there are anti-pornography somethingelse-ists as well. Probably there are quite a lot more of the latter than the former. What I am saying is that Australian feminists in general do not cite or appeal to Dworkin, that she is pretty much an historical note to most feminists here. I suspect she gets used more, selectively, and probably unfairly, by people opposed to feminism who want to say 'look at how lunatic feminism is' or by quite conservative people who want extreme arguments against porn.

I'll qualify that by saying that my feminist networks are fairly academic ones now, and perhaps there are still places where Dworkin gets some feminist airplay, but if that's the case they're not places my students know either, so they must be pretty obscure.

Catherine

---------------------------------------------------------------- This message was sent using IMP, the Internet Messaging Program.