[lbo-talk] Apres L'empire

Michael Pugliese michael.098762001 at gmail.com
Sun Apr 17 05:13:50 PDT 2005

Ah, here is another Chris.I've read a similiar one about a Serb farmer. http://zhurnal.net/ww/zw?PeasantWishes >...Another archetypal Russian peasant joke: Ivan is offered a chance to wish for anything, absolutely anything --- but the genie tells him that whatever he gets, his neighbor will get twice as much of.

"Each of us has two cows," reasons Ivan, "so I wish that one of my cows shall die!"

(see Soviet Survival & Proverbs Rules Bureaucracies)

Topic Humor - Topic Society

Datetag20010808

According to one of my classmates, a version of this story is recorded in the Torah. In that variation, two servants of the king loathe each other, and the king makes an offer like the one above: the first servant gets anything he wants, but the second gets twice as much. The punchline is that the first servant asks to have one of his eyes put out. Rad Rob

-- Michael Pugliese