[lbo-talk] Kyrgyzstan not for more foreign forces

Leigh Meyers leighcmeyers at gmail.com
Sun Apr 17 09:28:38 PDT 2005

I was just reading the press conference transcript.

Here's the full quote:

I do not think that there is any need to increase the presence of any more foreign troops in the Kyrgyz Republic. The situation at the *present* (emphasis added) time is fully under control of the Government of the Kyrgyz Republic, which has no need for additional forces.

Here's The Hindu's snippet:

---- Original Message ---- From: uvj at vsnl.com To: lbo Sent: Sunday, April 17, 2005 8:35 AM Subject: [lbo-talk] Kyrgyzstan not for more foreign forces

> The Hindu
>
> Saturday, Apr 16, 2005
>
> Kyrgyzstan not for more foreign forces
>
> Vladimir Radyuhin
>
> MOSCOW: The "tulip revolution" leaders in Kyrgyzstan are against any
> build-up of foreign military presence in the Central Asian republic.
>
> "I do not think there is any need to deploy additional foreign forces
> in Kyrgyzstan," the Prime Minister and acting President, Kurmanbek
> Bakiyev, said after talks with the visiting U.S. Defence Secretary,
> Donald H. Rumsfeld, in Bishkek.
>
> Mr. Rumsfeld said the U.S. air force base at Ganci in Kyrgyzstan will
> remain till the completion of the war in Afghanistan. Earlier, U.S.
> defence officials suggested the U.S. bases in Kyrgyzstan, Uzbekistan
> and Tajikistan will stay beyond the Afghanistan campaign.
>
> Mr. Bakiyev also poured cold water on U.S. plans to deploy several
> AWACS spy planes at the Ganci base. He said the issue was not
> discussed during his talks with Mr. Rumsfeld. The U.S. military has
> KC-135 refuelling aircraft and C-130 cargo planes, as well as about
> 1,000 troops stationed at Ganci. Russia also has an air force base in
> Kyrgyzstan, and the new Kyrgyz leaders have pledged to keep both the
> Russian and the U.S. bases in place.

Full Transcript of the Rumsfeld-Bakiyev press conference:

<...> MODERATOR: The next question is from the Reuters Agency. QUESTION: Mr. Prime Minister, Charles Aldinger with Reuters. I'd like to ask you, Sir, did you give Mr. Rumsfeld assurances that the U.S. military would continue to have access now to the airbase here in Bishkek?

BAKIYEV: During the conversation with Secretary Rumsfeld, we focused on economic relations, political relations, and military relations. On behalf of the Kyrgyz Government and myself, as the Prime Minister of the Kyrgyz Republic, I assured the Secretary of Defense that the Kyrgyz Republic would comply with all the international agreements we have signed, we have concluded with the United States.

MODERATOR: A question from Radio Station Azattyk, Radio Liberty.

QUESTION: This is a question for Prime Minister Bakiyev. In a way, I will be repeating some of the thoughts of the previous question, but I would nevertheless, like to pose the following question: In light of the political events that occurred on the territory of the Kyrgyz Republic recently, is it possible to place the anti-terrorism Coalition Airbase in Kyrgyzstan on permanent status? Also is it possible to have flights here in Kyrgyzstan of AWACS planes?

BAKIYEV: In the course of our conversation, the Secretary of Defense and I did not discuss the possibility of placing any additional aircraft of the AWACS type in the Kyrgyz Republic. As far as any additional troops, that was also not a subject of discussion. I do not think that there is any need to increase the presence of any more foreign troops in the Kyrgyz Republic. The situation at the present time is fully under control of the Government of the Kyrgyz Republic, which has no need for additional forces. <more>

http://news.leighm.net/files/bak_rum_050417