[lbo-talk] Kyrgyzstan not for more foreign forces

Leigh Meyers leighcmeyers at gmail.com
Sun Apr 17 10:33:14 PDT 2005

---- Original Message ---- From: uvj at vsnl.com To: lbo Sent: Sunday, April 17, 2005 9:44 AM Subject: Re: [lbo-talk] Kyrgyzstan not for more foreign forces

> Leigh Meyers wrote:
>
>> I was just reading the press conference transcript.
>>
>> Here's the full quote:
>>
>> I do not think that there is any need to increase the presence of any
>> more foreign troops in the Kyrgyz Republic. The situation at the
>> *present* (emphasis added) time is fully under control of the
>> Government of the Kyrgyz Republic, which has no need for additional
>> forces.
>
> What's your point?
>
> Ulhas

Besides the Hindu's mis-quote?

"I do not think there is any need to deploy additional foreign forces in Kyrgyzstan," the Prime Minister and acting President, Kurmanbek Bakiyev, said after talks with the visiting U.S. Defence Secretary, Donald H. Rumsfeld, in Bishkek.

Besides that, I was just noting that the full transcript is available at: http://news.leighm.net/files/bak_rum_050417 , which allows the reader to decide how well the media is doing as middle-person in the tranfer of information to the public.

Not too good, when the news org can't get a direct quote correct.

Leigh