[lbo-talk] Academic Efficiency at MIT

Andy F andyf274 at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 18 06:14:51 PDT 2005

http://punitive-surgery.lcs.mit.edu/scicache/568/scimakelatex.88825.James+L+Westrich.pdf

http://www.cnn.com/2005/TECH/science/04/14/mit.prank.reut/index.html
> > http://www.pdos.lcs.mit.edu/scigen/
> >

> i hope this shuts the sokal crowd up for a bit, but
> its probably not
> going to happen...

Probably not, since I guess it has something to do with taking peer review seriously. Silly people.

From <http://slashdot.org/comments.pl?sid=145964&cid=12228436> ------------- The randomly generated paper did not get into a CS conference... or even a "real" conference for that matter. WMSCI is, as far as I can tell, a money-making operation. Everyone in my department gets spammed from them (and the situation is the same elsewhere, hence Mazieres and Kohler's work [nyu.edu]).

Actually, if you read WMSCI's mission [iiisci.org], it looks randomly generated too:

The purpose of WMSCI 2005 is to promote discussion and interaction between researchers and practitioners focused on disciplines as well as different areas.

So CS might have problems, but you cannot argue that based on WMSCI. ------

No reverse-Sokal gotcha here, sorry.

Andy