[lbo-talk] A Changing Continent

Michael Dawson MDawson at pdx.edu
Mon Apr 18 11:05:31 PDT 2005

> Joseph Wanzala posted:
>
> > Yes, Africa is a land of wars, poverty and corruption. The situation in
> > places like Darfur, Sudan, desperately cries out for more media
> attention
> > and international action. But Africa is also a land of stock markets,
> high
> > rises, Internet cafes and a growing middle class. This is the part of
> Africa
> > that functions. And this Africa also needs media attention, if it's to
> have
> > any chance of fully joining the global economy.
>
> Yes, I agree. But how many marxists notice anything except malnutrition
> and disease in the developing world?
>
> Ulhas

Two points:

1. So, you two think publicizing the upwardly mobile in Africa and India will lead to those places "fully joining the global economy," which I presume to be your way of saying "getting rich like the G-7." Fascinating, at several levels.

2. Hey, Ulhas: Why do people go to medical school? That's right: To solve problems. That's why they mostly talk about diseases. Same thing with Marxists and pretty much all other scientists. Ask Jared Diamond.