[lbo-talk] Re: gorgeous moscow subway stations

Wojtek Sokolowski sokol at jhu.edu
Mon Apr 18 13:46:32 PDT 2005

Michael Dawson:
> In the USA, beautiful, lavish subways are a direct threat to corporate
> capital and its automotive cardio-pulmonary system.

Do not forget the racist element - in the US, public transit is thought of as the domain of blacks - as for example illustrated by the racist slur used to describe Baltimore's light rail - it is called "dark rail, " or comments that "public transit will bring crime (i.e. blacks) to our neighborhood." The crappy appearance and service are due mainly to unwillingness of many whites to "subsidize" things for blacks, be it transit, schools, or housing.

Wojtek