[lbo-talk] Re: gorgeous moscow subway stations

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Tue Apr 19 09:39:14 PDT 2005

snitsnat wrote:

>Further, Carrol called "this" -- the assertion/rhetorical question
>-- stupid, not Doug.

Gee, thanks. I'm so comforted.

>We have consumption politics and aesthetic politics. Left snobbery
>at its finest. One thing I know for sure. For years I looked forward
>to meeting people on the list. After years of reading this sort of
>thing, I'll pass thank you. I'm sure my Walmart finery wouldn't pass
>muster.

Oh please. I'd say it's snobbery of a sort that the masses have to build ugly buildings because they're the masses, and can't be expected to do any better. But they're shaped by a culture of the cheap and ugly, and it shows.

There's something to Bush's soundbite about the soft bigotry of low expectations. His solution to the problem - NCLB - is horsehit, but the diagnosis isn't.

By the way, lots of the Wal-Mart workers that Liza talked to are embarrassed by the stuff their employer sells. But they don't select the merch.

Doug