[lbo-talk] Re: gorgeous moscow subway stations

John Adams jadams01 at sprynet.com
Tue Apr 19 12:21:25 PDT 2005

On Apr 19, 2005, at 3:02 PM, snitsnat wrote:

> At 02:21 PM 4/19/2005, Doug Henwood wrote:
>> John Adams wrote:
>>
>>> Do folks really think people have junker cars in the yard because
>>> their esthetic sense is lacking?
>>
>> Who ever said they did?
>
> I think Woj? He was talking about junky backyards or something.

Yeah, I conflated their remarks, due to their similar underlying attitudes.

One man's junk is another man's thrift, I suppose--or maybe it's like my dad told me the day I suggested a different, more expensive, better-in-the-long-run way to fix my twenty-year old car: "Son, poor folks have poor ways." I reject the moralistic interpretation of that remark, but I accept it as a fatalistic fact.

> I'd second John's comments about beautiful churches.

While there are some absolutely lovely churches in Tulsa (lucky enough to be build during the Art Deco movement, and lucky again that the oil bust hit right when those lovely buildings would have otherwise been torn down), I think Thorncrown Chapel (no matter who owns it) makes my point quite well: http://www.thorncrown.com/

> And what about the Arts and Crafts movement? There are some just
> glorious homes, furniture, tapestries, ceramics, fabrics?

And Doug, did you hie yourself down to the dumpsters at the Flatiron Building and salvage any detail work? There were many goodies there, I'm told.

> Sears mass marketed those homes, as I learned when I lived in Solvay,
> NY. My neighbor was telling me about how, when he was in France during
> WWII, his wife packed away the money, bought a craftsman home kit from
> Sears and put up the house for his return.

Those are beautiful houses, but I still like quonset huts a hell of a lot better than I like geodesic domes.

John A