[lbo-talk] soft bigotry...

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Tue Apr 19 13:31:45 PDT 2005

snitsnat wrote:

>Does it mean we start holding individual soldiers accountable at
>demos--instead of Shrubya, et al.?

Look, they signed up, and many of them are enthusiastic about their work. Not all, by any means, but there are guys who've been wounded in Iraq, get patched up, and go back for more. There are guys who like cutting Iraqis in half with their 50-cals. (I heard that from a mainstream newspaper reporter who'd never be allowed to print that in the paper, of course.) Not all, but some. They're not all victims. Collective guilt is bullshit, but so is collective innocence. I don't know where to draw the line, like I said, but it's dishonest and evasive to pretend it doesn't need to be drawn at all.

Remember the outrage when Ronnie said, apropos his trip to Bitburg, that some of the SS soldiers were victims too?

Doug