[lbo-talk] Ann Arbor & Robert Hall

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 19 14:32:33 PDT 2005

A-squared was moderately post-hippy when I was imn grad school there in the 1980s, but when I lived there two summers in the mid-90s, working in Detroit law school summers, it was totally and utterly yupped out. There are still local merchants, but there is a lot of the same Gap/J Crew/Abercombie & Fitch, etc. stuff you get everywhere. And ubiquitous (iniquitous?) Starbucks. Which, despite its evil effects on local coffee shops and its lousy coffee nonetheless seems to be a reasonably decent employer.) The anchor bookstore --w hen I was a grad student there in the 80s -- was Borders. It was the only Borders there was. ANd it didn't sell coffee or music, just books. Borders is still there, but its role as a scholarly bookstore has been taken over by my friend Karl Phort's Shaman Drum.

jks