[lbo-talk] soft bigotry...

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Tue Apr 19 15:42:46 PDT 2005

Andy F wrote:

>--- martin <mschiller at pobox.com> wrote:
>> On Apr 19, 2005, at 1:31 PM, Doug Henwood wrote:
>>
>> > I don't know where to draw the line, like I said,
>> but it's dishonest
>> > and evasive to pretend it doesn't need to be drawn
>> at all.
>>
>> Wasn't this Ward Churchill's premise?
>
>One of the better ones.

Let me put it this way.

1) With an all-volunteer army, how responsible are the soldiers for what they do? Is it different from a conscript army?

2) In some semblance of a democracy, like the one we have, how responsible are people for the actions of their government?

A large percentage - I don't know the exact number, but it's significantly different from 0 - of U.S. soldiers are proud of what they're doing in Iraq. Doesn't that invalidate some of the slogans you hear at antiwar rallies, or did back in the day when there were antiwar rallies?

Did a large percentage of Bush voters vote for him because they like what he's doing in Iraq and elsewhere? How can we just blame W, and ignore the fact that the guy got scores of millions of votes?

Doug