[lbo-talk] Re: gorgeous moscow subway stations

jthorn65 at sbcglobal.net jthorn65 at sbcglobal.net
Tue Apr 19 20:18:56 PDT 2005

> While there are some absolutely lovely churches in Tulsa (lucky enough
> to be build during the Art Deco movement, and lucky again that the oil
> bust hit right when those lovely buildings would have otherwise been
> torn down), I think Thorncrown Chapel (no matter who owns it) makes my
> point quite well: http://www.thorncrown.com/
>
> John A

Thorncrown Chapel is a monstrosity, Fay Jones was a hack (and a shitty university instructor), and the fact that the AIA places this building fourth on the list of top buildings of the 20th century should embarrass all AIA members now and for all time. In my worst opium induced stupor I could easily name 50 buildings far more worthy of the honor. Blech! The church is an eyesore on a spectacular site.

Tulsa does have several nice churches though even if it pains me to say something nice about the place. Too bad they're filled to capacity with hypocrites and greedy hypermaterialistic assholes. I have always not so secretly hoped that if the earth has to be hit by a meteor to bring karmic balance to the universe it can hit OK, TX, and KS.

John Thornton