[lbo-talk] My Last Contact With Red Squares

jthorn65 at sbcglobal.net jthorn65 at sbcglobal.net
Wed Apr 20 00:09:57 PDT 2005

> >I am too young to be really knowledgeable on this but I was under the
> >impression that Robert Hall was like Sears used to be. Not cheap but middle
> >of the road pricing that appealed to middle class consumers. Like Nordstroms
> >or Dillards.
>

> god. i really feel like a total, low-class loser. i never knew, really,
> 'til reading this list what a low down scumbag I must be in everyone's
> eyes. These places are like shopping at Marcus Niemann or whatever the hell
> that place is. it'll learn me to shut my mouth.
>
> kelley

I'n confused (again). I was under the assumption that the appeal of certain retail establishments over others for members of any socioeconomic class was discussed just like the purchases of SUV's or any other class signifier. I don't think anyone was making any claims for preferring one store and its clients over another personally or making any claims about individuals who shop at any given place. With the declining numbers of people who could be called middle-class there is a corresponding reduction in the numbers of retail establishments catering to them. Sears and Federated are in trouble but the stores at draw customers at the extreme ends are doing well. Family Dollar Store is growing leaps and bounds and places like Sulka are doing really well. This is certainly relevant information to anyone wishing to impliment social change. It's a pretty sad comment on materialism when showing up with an Aspinal leather portfolio has any bearing on getting a job as a graphic designer but it is becoming pretty common knowledge that this is true. I don't think anyone here thinks these types of behaviours are good and I imagine most feel they are detrimental to society. I'm not going to make serious judgments about people based on the clothes they wear or where they buy them but our society is full of people who do. I'd be lying if I said was totally immune to any such thinking but I am aware of where it comes from and why it is in my head and I do my best not to let such sillyness effect real decisions.

John Thornton