[lbo-talk] Re: gorgeous moscow subway stations

John Adams jadams01 at sprynet.com
Wed Apr 20 14:20:05 PDT 2005

On Apr 20, 2005, at 4:15 PM, Wojtek Sokolowski wrote:

> Kelley:
>> to your commeents. Though your comments don't strike me as pertinent
> the
>> lives of the people who I was talking about.
>
> I guess when we start talking about people we know well, "explanation"
> takes
> a hike and "rationalization" sets in. So that is perhaps a good
> reason for
> not bringing personal stuff into a discussion.
<snip>
> So to summarize, please do not take what I say on this list personally.
> When I rant, I rant about something I saw or heard earlier around me to
> express my frustration, rather than to put down or criticize anyone on
> this
> list (if I do not like certain postings I say so, or simply ignore
> them if I
> feel that my comment my ignite an irrational diatribe). When I try to
> explain things, I view these explanations as pertaining to all human
> beings
> (whether it's true of false), including myself - nothing personal.

I seldom take things personally in the sense of "What did you say about my mother?" But when explanations and theories don't seem to be in touch with the world as I've experienced it, it's hard not to take that as a sign that the explanations and theories may be worthless. (The same may be true of my experience, as it relates said theories and explanations.)

John A