[lbo-talk] Heidegger and Ratzinger....oh freude, freude

Chris Doss lookoverhere1 at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 21 12:11:52 PDT 2005

--- uvj at vsnl.com wrote:

> I am not defending Heidegger. But many prominent
> marxists were implicated in Stalinism, e.g. Lukacs.
> I suppose one would not dismiss Lukacs' work on that
> account.
>
> Ulhas

Caveat: my dissertation (never finished) was on Heidegger.

As far as I can see, in 99 out of 100 cases, recourse to the "Heidegger was a Nazi" trope is an attempt to "brown-bait," if you will, his ideas and anybody influenced by them. Lurking behind them is the weird idea that fascists must be stupid. Usually this is done by people who have never read or understood him.

(PS. Lenin killed a lot more people than Mussolini!)

Nu, zayats, pogodi!