[lbo-talk] Fwd: Jeremy Rifkin: The European Dream

Wojtek Sokolowski sokol at jhu.edu
Thu Apr 21 14:54:18 PDT 2005

Tully quotes:
> The European Dream Building Sustainable Development by Jeremy Rifkin

which includes this passage
>>>Europe and the U.S. have nearly opposite approaches to the question of
environmental stewardship. At the heart of the difference is the way Americans and Europeans perceive risk. We Americans take pride in being a risk-taking people. We come from immigrant stock, people who risked their lives to journey to the new world and start over, often with only a few coins in their pockets and a dream of a better life. When Europeans and others are asked what they most admire about Americans, our risk-taking, "can-do" attitude generally tops the list. Where others see difficulties and obstacles, Americans see opportunities. <<<

WS: While I agree with the direction of his argument, I think this statement is not true. In my view, Americans are probably among the most risk aversive peoples - as indicated by the inordinate amount of effort and money they spent on procuring security or rather an illusion of it and avoiding anything that makes them even slightly uncomfortable. Risk avoidance - staying in "safe" places and avoiding contacts with anything that looks different from "things at home" - is a rather salient trait of many Americans abroad.

The "risk taking" is a part of the national cowboy/pioneer mythology that has little to do with reality.

Wojtek