[lbo-talk] Rat Man elected top robed celibate

C. G. Estabrook galliher at alexia.lis.uiuc.edu
Thu Apr 21 16:29:06 PDT 2005

I think you're right about the reference to Europe, but I think Ratzinger sees it as less as a center of power than as mission territory. St. Benedict, the founder of Western monasticism, is the patron of Europe because the monasteries were the were the conservators of literature and civilization in the transition from antiquity to feudalism.

You're also right about the growth of Catholicism in the global South. The majority of Catholics in the 20th century lived in the First World; now the majority is in what someone called the Two-Thirds World -- and, as Ratzinger knows, the disparity grows daily. --CGE