[lbo-talk] opium deaths?

jthorn65 at sbcglobal.net jthorn65 at sbcglobal.net
Thu Apr 21 18:44:45 PDT 2005

> On Apr 21, 2005, at 6:53 PM, jthorn65 at sbcglobal.net wrote:
>
> > As I wrote earlier it is the safest mind altering substance we know of.
>
> What about nitrous oxide? Not toxic, but also not addictive. A little
> easier to OD on, but again, that's only if you're using a mask without
> supervision--not intrinsic to the drug.
>
> John A

Kills brain cells by depriving them of oxygen. Long-term exposure to high concentrations of nitrous oxide may cause megaloblastic bone-marrow depression and neurological symptoms. N2O also affects white blood cell production and function. Many anaesthesiologists believe that the potential dangers of N2O are so great that it should no longer be used at all for routine clinical anaesthesia. N2O induces opioid peptide release in the periaqueductal gray area of the midbrain. Better to just use opium.

John Thornton