[lbo-talk] Heidegger and Ratzinger....oh freude, freude

Chris Doss lookoverhere1 at yahoo.com
Sat Apr 23 04:47:06 PDT 2005

--- Mike Ballard <swillsqueal at yahoo.com.au> wrote: "He took up studies to be a Jesuit by entering the Society of Jesus at Tisis, in Austria, though likely for health reasons, he was rejected as a candidate. Heidegger then decided to study for his priesthood at the Albert-Ludwig University in Freiberg, where he began lecturing and publishing papers. Here he first encounter the writings of Husserl, and was also directed by his superiors to change his studies from theology to mathematics and philosophy."

http://www.egs.edu/resources/heidegger.html ---

That means that he was writing and lecturing, not doing theology.

Heidegger did not accept Catholic theology. In fact, he was not a theist. Determination of "Being" as "God" was idolatry for Heidegger, part of the degeneration of thinking since its high point with the Pre-Socratics (I'm talking late Heidegger here). He did however maintain a respect for and affection for the Church, except in his anticlerical Nazi period, which is why he wanted a Catholic burial -- for the same reason I would probably want a Lutheran one, even though I'm not a Lutheran.

Nu, zayats, pogodi!