[lbo-talk] The new Pope and the last (s)election....

C. G. Estabrook galliher at alexia.lis.uiuc.edu
Sat Apr 23 13:50:05 PDT 2005

How can a church's deciding on the status of its membership be "a brazen violation of the secular foundations of the US Constitution"? Would you have the state order a church to offer someone communion? Now that would be an obvious violation of the separation of church and state -- the sort of thing American Christians have worried about since Roger Williams.

Also, it's wrong to say that "Ratzinger ... gave the Vatican's seal of approval to Church officials who were using the abortion issue to discourage a vote for the Democratic candidate." You stop quoting him too soon. His next sentence reads,

"When a Catholic does not share a candidate's stand in favor of abortion and/or euthanasia, but votes for that candidate for other reasons, it is considered remote material cooperation, which can be permitted in the presence of proportionate reasons."

Couched in the technical terminology of classic Catholic moral theology, that's a quite traditional opinion. Many traditional Catholics voted for Kerry in good conscience. --CGE