[lbo-talk] Bush: 'the more corn there is, the more energythere is'

Jordan Hayes jmhayes at j-o-r-d-a-n.com
Sat Apr 23 17:48:49 PDT 2005

>> The president is a very intelligent man. I'm sure he
>> meant to say, "the more corn there is, the more energy
>> there is [expended]." I'm sure that a man of his
>> intellect knows that it takes several BTUs of energy to
>> make a BTU of ethanol.
>
> I saw some right-winger recently debunking that as passe.

It appears to at least be controversial.

A quick glance at Google has some interesting stuff:

http://www.google.com/search?q=energy+required+to+make+ethanol

I don't know who these dudes are, but they say that the average corn farmer can make about 38% more energy from ethanol than he puts in, and that super farmers can do about 109%.

http://www.carbohydrateeconomy.org/library/admin/uploadedfiles/How_Much_Energy_Does_it_Take_to_Make_a_Gallon_.html