[lbo-talk] Re: dregs and drugs

tully tully at bellsouth.net
Sat Apr 23 18:23:32 PDT 2005

On Saturday 23 April 2005 07:26 pm, snitsnat wrote:
>That's another problem with his peice. Maybe these folks, like the
> Chinese rest. owners, think what they wear looks nice. Why does he
> assume that they are dressing for comfort? How can he possibly
> know?

Who cares if they are dressing for comfort? Why shouldn't they? Why must there be so much judgementalism over appearance?

I saw "The Swan" on TV a few months ago and was spitting with outrage that any woman would feel it necessary to undergo surgery and gob on makeup to make herself acceptable. Why aren't women screaming with fury over that hideous show or over beauty contests.

Now men are becoming objectified, too, as they pour into gyms in droves to try to look like some exaggerated action figure. Are we really such shallow creatures that we can't see that the real beauty of a person has nothing at all to do with their outward appearance?

Only people who could base status on how much wealth and material they personally accumulated could outlaw the potlatch of the PNW Indians where status was based on how much one gave away to the community. And only such people who feel the need to use their appearance to display their accumulation could rationalize that they are doing it for others. What a screwed up culture we have.

--tully