[lbo-talk] Heidegger and Ratzinger....oh freude, freude

Chris Doss lookoverhere1 at yahoo.com
Sun Apr 24 02:43:13 PDT 2005

--- uvj at vsnl.com wrote:

> What's your take on Lucien Goldmann's thesis -
> "implicitly confirmed by Lukacs in his essay on
> _Heidegger 'redivivus'" that History and Class
> Consciouness influenced Being and Time?
>
> Ref. "Heidegger's work is to be understood,
> according to Goldmann, as in large part a polemical
> response,'perhaps even unconscious', to Lukacs's
> book of 1923. The 'true' and 'false' consciouness
> discussed by Lukacs, became, presumably, the
> 'authentic' and 'inauthentic' existence in
> Heidegger; Lukacs's distinction between 'essence'
> and 'phenomenon' became Heidegger's distinction
> between 'ontic' and 'ontological', etc."(Ref. "From
> Bergson to Lukacs" in Colletti's, Marxism and Hegel)
>
> Ulhas

I think it's a stretch. I think that if you're going to look for the origin of the ontic/ontological distinction, a better bet is the controversies in German Neo-Kantianism in the 1920s and 30s, Husserl, and Aristotle. I see little evidence that Heidegger was interested in Marxism at all -- his one brief (positive) reference to Marx is in the Briefe uber den Humanismus, in the context of trying to appeal to the Marxophilic French intelligentsia. It's a strange lacuna in his thought. (He did of course consider the ideologies of the USSR and US to be identical in essence.)

Nu, zayats, pogodi!