[lbo-talk] Yahoo! News Story - 'Dormouse'RetellsSiliconValleyHistory

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Sun Apr 24 15:22:38 PDT 2005

Adam Souzis wrote:

> recall that my initial reply was a pointer to an essay by theodore
> rosak. From the introduction:
>
> "[we] are left with many questions, not least of all how we got from
> the heady idealism of the counter culture to Reaganomics and the Moral
> Majority, Nine Inch Nails and the dot.com feeding frenzy.

The problem for me is the phrase, "heady idealism of the counter culture." It has never been demonstrated to me that there _was_ a "counter" culture (as opposed to one of many inflections of The Culture). And I never (at the time or since) saw much if any "idealism" in what went by the name of the counter culture.

Carrol