[lbo-talk] Yahoo! News Story - 'Dormouse' Retells SiliconValleyHistory

Thomas Seay entheogens at yahoo.com
Sun Apr 24 18:04:03 PDT 2005

--- Adam Souzis <adamsz at gmail.com> wrote:
> hmm, I work in the tech industry in san francisco
> and mostly a sort of
> liberal libertarian mindset (basically equivalent to
> the dean faction
> of the democratic party i guess),

Yes, I agree with that and I work as an SW Engineer in Palo Alto. A lot of people are, as you say, left liberal but far from radical. I know about the supposed wild and wooly early years of the computer industry...Some is probably fact and some is fiction. There is the story of the original architecture team at Apple asking interviewees if they had ever done acid (it helped their application if they had apparently); but, in any case, this place now attracts a lot of the type of people who once-upon-a-time would have done accounting or some other "safe" career choice. Back in 1999 I had the opportunity to teach a couple of programming classes at SF State. I asked my class who was studying programming because they loved it and who just wanted the big bucks. A show of hands for "love it" got one arm raised. "Big bucks" got the rest of the class.