[lbo-talk] dregs and drugs

joanna 123hop at comcast.net
Sun Apr 24 20:29:30 PDT 2005

snitsnat wrote:

> I had to have some Nitrous a couple of months ago, btw. An outpatient
> procedure. Can't say that I'd recommend it to anyone! The nurse was
> rilly rilly glad I had a ride home, lemme tell ya. That stuff was not
> at all enjoyable.

Well. Two weeks short of my orals (for the doctorate) everything went to hell. One of the things being having to have a deeply imbedded wisdom tooth extracted. I'll spare you the details, but it was a fairly gruesome operation, which they had been hoping to avoid. But, NOT.

I don't mind being a wimp about avoidable pain. I mean I had two kids (9 lbs & 10 lbs) with no anesthesia, but I wasn't about to extract that tooth without every drug known to man. So, I whined about how I was really bad about pain...and they gave me Demarol, Neumbutol, laughing gas, and Novocaine.

As I lay there in the dentist's chair calmly observing the hacking and hewing...and feeling no pain whatsoever...I understood for the first time what the exact meaning of "Platonic" was...as in totally detached from the material/physical world. Not exactly enjoyable, but interesting in its own way.

So far as drugs are concerned I was thinking tonight about what the big deal is....and I figure the reason why they're all so het up about it is that they need to control it one way or another. They need to control the pschyotropic drugs -- so that shrinks and pharmaceuticals can make money; and they need to control the illegal drugs so that most people go shopping rather than snorting when they get blue.

Joanna