[lbo-talk] "Speed kills" was "Thanks to all the little people"

John Adams jadams01 at sprynet.com
Mon Apr 25 07:55:10 PDT 2005

On Apr 25, 2005, at 10:21 AM, Doug Henwood wrote:

> John Adams wrote:
>
>> Followed by, "I like big people," if memory serves. 'Course, that's
>> that same album where he went off on the reviewers: "All the
>> assholes, right up front." I don't think he detailed any of them but
>> Christgau: "Work for a fucking year on a fucking album and you get a
>> B-plus from some asshole in the Village Voice." God, I love that
>> album--it's proof that speed kills.
>
> The whole thing is hilarious.

Not the version of "Street Hassle", which is incredibly creepy (and oddly on-topic just now)--and even on the LP, it's a lot better than a B-plus:

"By the way, that's really some bad shit that you came to our place with but you ought to be more careful around the little girls It's either the best or it's the worst and since I don't have to choose I guess I won't and I know this ain't no way to treat a guest But why don't you grab your old lady by the feet and just lay her out in the darkest street and by morning, she's just another hit and run. You know, some people got no choice and they can never find a voice to talk with that they can even call their own So the first thing that they see that allows them the right to be why they follow it, you know, what it's called? Bad luck."