[lbo-talk] SS: 2/1 against W; The Beadle worried

Michael Pollak mpollak at panix.com
Mon Apr 25 08:04:12 PDT 2005

On Mon, 25 Apr 2005, Doug quoted ABC's The Note quoting Fred Barnes in the Weekly Standard saying

> [links in orig <http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/TheNote/story?id=156238>]

> The average numbers of seats lost by a president's party in the sixth year
> of his administration are, roughly, 28 in the House and 7 in the Senate.".

So if the Democrats only hit the average, they'd suddenly regain control of both houses of Congress?

I wouldn't be surprised to find out that number was very unreliable. (Even if it's nominally true, probably N is too small and beta too large for it to have statistical significance as a trend line.) Still, it sure is a change from the usual way of looking at things.

Michael