[lbo-talk] dregs and drugs

B. docile_body at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 25 11:44:44 PDT 2005

I know all one has to do on the list to make oneself unpopular is agree with Carroll Cox about something, but I kind of agree with him that the clothing thread is banal.

Where I live in Dallas, I'd have to say my observations pretty much bring me to the opposite conclusions a lot of you seem to have come to (i.e. that poor folks tend to dress better, or at least expend more effort on appearance, whereas better-to-do types dress sloppily). Not so, here. Here, the rich are the ones who look who look fantabulous, freshly Toni-and-Guy'd, while the poor generally look pretty haggard.

Go to the Highland Park area of Dallas (where the Cheneys have a house), or to the affluent suburban cities of Plano and Frisco, and you will see well-manicured, well-coiffed, mostly-white folks getting into glistening SUVs, while downtown you'll see all the poorer folks waiting at bus stops generally looking like hell. That is, except for the supermodel-looking people who work at the Neiman Marcus downtown, which stands as a sort of outpost of privilege amidst all the decay around it -- a testament to the good old days when "going downtown to do shopping" was an upper class event, not a venture into the danger zone.

-B.