[lbo-talk] dregs and drugs

Miles Jackson cqmv at pdx.edu
Mon Apr 25 12:18:57 PDT 2005

On Mon, 25 Apr 2005, snitsnat wrote:

> I don't know one man who, as an instructor, get comments on his evals about
> his appearance. A friend of mine got "Nice legs". another got "cool dress". I
> recall getting one, "wears great cloths" and I suspect it may have been
> because it was SUNY Oswego which is such a gray drab place, anything would
> look good there. I certainly don't see how skirts and sweater "look nice" in
> any special wear. And ther was one sweater I wore, dang, I had a picture of
> me in that outfit. Nasty! The booty was looking mighty wide in that one! :)
>
> So, maybe there are some men who get these comments, I don't know. But it
> sure bugs me!

Well, I get those comments sometimes (dresses nice, handsome, "he's easy to look at"). It cracks me up for two reasons: first of all, I'm no Brad Pitt (although my wife, fortunately, thinks I'm a babe; that's good enough for me). Second, students asked to provide a serious evaluation of a college instructor think of nothing better to say than "he/she's hot".

This is still an interesting example of gender stratification, though: for a man, these comments are amusing, and have no bearing on judgments of competence. As Kel points out, it's a different story for women in the same position.

Miles