[lbo-talk] The Suicide of New Left Review

Chris Doss lookoverhere1 at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 25 12:33:09 PDT 2005

--- joanna <123hop at comcast.net> wrote:
> Oh, my mistake. I thought he wrote editorials that
> were published in the
> Moscow Times.
> He used to, anyway.
>
> Joanna

He does. So do the rest of the NG crew (Kagarlitsky I actually respect, so don't think I'm talking about him here). They're not known for that here -- MT has no English-language version.

How To Get Invited To Western Soirees if you are a Russian Journalist, The Easy-Step Approach:

1. Get job at Novaya Gazeta. Write about how only the United States can save us from the evil Putin regime. The more ludicrous th better. Piece gets translated and sent to Johnson's Russia List.

2. Editor at Moscow Times sees piece on JRL. "Hey, this is our kind of guy/gal, a journalist struggling against the regime!"

3. Cool. Now you've got a column at the Moscow Times. Soon, the NYT is calling you as an expert.

4. It's free eats at the US Embassy 24/7!

Nu, zayats, pogodi!