[lbo-talk] Sowell on "black rednecks"

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Tue Apr 26 12:57:26 PDT 2005

joanna wrote:

>Basically it's another spin on the white-trash/n-word formula, which
>has been playing in this country for a long time.

A more constructive, less bigoted way of looking at it would be to see the old south as an extremely polarized and economically stagnant region that left its working class of all colors in a very undeveloped state. Before he was drafted into directing the Institute for Southern Studies, Chris Kromm was thinking about doing a book on the south as our own internal colony, with an appropriately stunted kind of social development. Too bad he never got to do the book - it sounds like an interesting project.

Doug