[lbo-talk] Sowell on "black rednecks"

Wojtek Sokolowski sokol at jhu.edu
Wed Apr 27 07:14:51 PDT 2005

John A:
> > Basically it's another spin on the white-trash/n-word formula, which
> > has been playing  in this country for a long time.
>
> This was the Fulbright formula--his cultured disdain for all the poor
> covered for his racism.

Interesting critique. Anyone who speaks unfavorably about the underclass must be a bad character, a bigot a racist or worse. This becomes painfully obvious when one realizes that everything in society is relative, there are no absolute truths, and the life style of the underclass is in no way inferior to that of the upper class, and sometimes even superior to it. Anyone who does not understand that fundamental truth must be a bigot or a racist. Case closed.

There is however, one problem. If the life styles of the underclass are so finger licking good, why are we wasting our time to get rid of capitalism and create a better society? All one needs to do to bring general happiness is to build more Wal Marts - and capitalism does that rather well. So why wasting our time on improving something that is as good as anything else? Inquiring minds want to know.

Wojtek