[lbo-talk] dregs and drugs

Chris Doss lookoverhere1 at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 27 09:51:11 PDT 2005

--- Wojtek Sokolowski <sokol at jhu.edu> wrote:

> The explanation, imho, is a particular form of
> sexism that is wide spread in
> Eastern Europe, which views "taking care of one's
> appearance" as an artifice
> designed to make person look sexually attractive to
> others. Only young and
> unmarried women can do that publicly. If older
> women do it, they are seen
> as "sluts," and if men do it - they are seen as gay.

I don't know anything about Poland or the Czech Republic, and agree with the general sexism thing, but around here women stay dolled up until they reach babushka-hood ("take care of yourself or you might lose your husband) and men use a lot of cosmetics (creams and so forth). I interviewed the CEO of Beiersdorf Russia a few years ago and he waxed eloquent to be on this.

(It's only been two days and the Washington Post is already misquoting Putin's State of the Nation address. Hacks on speed.)

Nu, zayats, pogodi!