[lbo-talk] happy dance

B. docile_body at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 27 10:09:52 PDT 2005

Wojtek wrote:

> Interesting. Business = the "real world." Academia
= unreal (read: bunch
> of stuffed shirt liberal idlers who know nothing
about 'everyday life').

Yeah, this is so common, and such a common irritant for me. A few years ago I drew money from unemployment insurance when out of work. I met with a career counselor [with a Masters of Social Work, too] who kept using the phrase "Now, when you get back into the real world...." constantly, by which she meant "When you get a job again..." Well, I was still paying rent, paying bills, and actually living quite miserably. Why the hell wasn't that "the real world"?

-B.