[lbo-talk] unreal

B. docile_body at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 27 11:20:48 PDT 2005

You're right. I was riffing more on Woj's point moreso than responding to anything I felt you had stated. Woj did jump to the conclusion that you had meant an academician wasn't a "real" feminist when what you said didn't necessarily warrant that conclusion.

-B.

oudeis wrote:

> Except I said nothing of the sort. the point was: i
never encounter
> gung ho feminists anywhere outside of academia and
certainly NOT in
> the businessworld. this has nothing to do with real
world v. unreal
> world, a distinction I, too, find absurd.
>
> I said REAL LIVE FEMINIST. as in most women say,
"I'm not a feminist,
> but...." I'm talking about how rare it is to
encounter people outside
> academia--in the business world no less, who will
admit they are
> feminists. i've worked with a lot of women, because
a lot of women
> are high up the food chain in the sector I worked
with. Occ I meet
> people who have some interest through college,
perhaps, but they're
> not gung ho feminists proud to call themselves that.
It had nothing to
> do with the unreality/reality of academia. you would
have to look
> really hard to find me saying what Woj ascribed to
me. it's one of my
> pet peeves. but no.... assume the worst of your
friends and
> colleagues. pay no attention to anything they've
ever said.