[lbo-talk] WP misquote (degs and drugs)

Chris Doss lookoverhere1 at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 27 11:27:30 PDT 2005

C. G. Estabrook galliher at alexia.lis.uiuc.edu

> ... (It's only been two days and the Washington
Post is already
> misquoting Putin's State of the Nation address.
Hacks on speed.)

How so? --CGE

---

The WP, in its insane editorial, quotes P as saying that the collapse of the USSR was the greatest geopoltical disaster of the 20th century (i.e. worse than WWII etc.). (Then it goes on David Irving-like to deny the tragedy, but that's another story.) That's not what he said.

I have the Russian text in front of me: "Sleduet priznat, chto krushenie Sovetskogo Soyuza bylo krupneishei geopolitcheskoi katastrofoi veka." This means, "It follows that it must be admitted that the collapse of the Soviet Union was a very great catastrophy of the century."

What a difference an article makes! "Krupneishii" means "very, superlatively great," not "the greatest," which would be "samyi krupnii."

Putin is in agreement with 75% of his electorate (going by the last opinion poll I saw, about a month or so ago).

Nu, zayats, pogodi!