[lbo-talk] pomo cultural lefties who valorize the poor

Wojtek Sokolowski sokol at jhu.edu
Wed Apr 27 16:14:22 PDT 2005

Kelley:
> So, which left writers, today, can I go read about. I'm heading to the
> library and I'd like to place them on interlibrary loan. I can sit here
and
> OCR or transcribe one book after another that directly undermines Wojtek's
> claims. Why is it that, as you asked Wojtek, you can't name one writer on
> the left who valorizes the lives of the poor, rednecks, american indians,
> whoever Woj gets on about? If it's such a widewpread trend, then surely
> it's there.

I consider you to be one of such writers, unless you do not want to consider yourself a writer. Cox, Charles Brown, Joe Wanzala, Yoshie Furuhashi are others on this list that come to mind.

As to your willingness to go to the library - you cannot prove that something does not exist by showing that something else exists. The fact that there are valuable analyses out there does not meant that there is no other stuff.

While we are talking about library -- there is venerable tradition in anthropology of making up stuff about indigenous societies to tell a moral story for popular consumption at home. "Harmless people" is what comes to mind, but there are others. The "street corner" genre is another example. There is plenty of writing, sociology or high brow journalism on race and poverty - some of it was even posted to this list couple of month ago - that glorifies the poor or at least tries to elicit pity. Then there is Michael Moore with his on-the-sleeve populism. Not to mention alternative zines to which I sused to subscribe.

The fact that I cannot give you the exact quotes out of the top my head doe not men that such thing does not exist. You know darn well that doing bibliographical research takes a lot of time, and that most people will not waste that time just to prove you wrong on what amounts to a hair splitting issue. So you keep asking for citations to make your point knowing that will probably be not challenged. Rush Limbaugh and Co use the same strategy - spit out claims and accusations knowing that refuting them will take time and effort, so some of them will stand "unchallenged."

So you are right - I am not going to the library to prove you wrong - in fact I am going to the library to listen to Giovanni Arrighi presentation scheduled for 7:30 (seriously). For that matter, I do not really feel any need to prove you wrong. You are a thoughtful and intelligent person and you will be able to tell shit when you see it. So all I can ask you is to keep you eyes and mind open.

I would also like to add that I do not have any particular need to put anyone down, and this also pertains to the segments of the US population referred to as "trailer trash," "rednecks" etc. While I do not have much in common with them and would not choose the lifestyle they enjoy - they do not bother me at all. I am of the live and let live persuasion. However, I do not see any reason why I should feel any particular affinity toward them, compassion for their plight and support for their struggles. And I also know that should any breakdown of social order occur in this country, these people will be form lynching mobs to string up people like me. It has happened in the past, no? Or do I need to provide proper references to prove that?

Wojtek