[lbo-talk] Class enemy prepares to eliminate card-check

Michael Dawson mdawson at pdx.edu
Wed Apr 27 20:02:26 PDT 2005

> On Behalf Of kevin lapalme

> There's no such thing as "at will" citizenship? The
> government can't summarily fire you - yet, almost -
> for your opinions, so an analogy between secret ballot
> union elections and secret ballot political elections
> is invalid.
>
> --- Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com> wrote:
>
> > I understand that this isn't really about principle,
> > but what's a
> > good argument against secret ballots? On the face of
> > it, it would
> > seem tough to argue the union position.
> >
> > Doug

I belong to two unions. This party line (without a party) nauseates me. Look at it. The union side is standing for rotten principle, as always, even as it plummets flaming to the Earth. If we had half a brain, we would welcome the idea of secret ballots -- secret to everybody, bosses included.

Of course, if you've spent five minutes inside the hierarchy, there's one other spot where lefties ought to be ramming home secret ballots -- in state and national union elections.

If you want to get a feel for how Stalin's Politburo must have worked, go watch an "international" union convention "elect" its externally pathetic poobahs. "Oh, Comrade, I notice you didn't vote for me... We'll talk to you later."