[lbo-talk] pomo cultural lefties who valorize the poor

Michael Dawson mdawson at pdx.edu
Wed Apr 27 20:16:19 PDT 2005

What's wrong lately, snit? You seem cranky.

I usually disagree with Woj, but you have him wrong. He isn't saying there are lefties who say being poor is awesome. He's saying there are lefties who exempt the underlying population from historical materialist truth-telling.

Personally speaking, I believe in human agency. I think it's the only miracle, in fact. So, all people have it, despite the heavier weight of legitimate institutional excuses for underlying folks.

People like, for instance, Ward Churchill think in crude knee-jerk categories and refuse to preserve a full humanist view of those they claim to be working for. American Indians are not saints. They slaughtered each other and wrecked their environments just like every other human group up to now, with some important exceptions. But listening to Churchill (whom I still would bet is a 100% white guy), you would think that Euros imported something unknown with their coercion and violence.

American workers bear some responsibility, albeit small. But small is much different than zero.