[lbo-talk] execution

oudeis oudeis at gmail.com
Thu Apr 28 01:33:26 PDT 2005

So, I'm doing research for this gig and I come across this, in the library. Ugh Ugh UGH!

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0609610570/104-4879632-4261545?v=glance

Also, I just sat meself down and drew four sketches of a logo for a bridal company. I'm a horrible perfectionist, way too critical of my stuff. But, it turned out that potential client likes them. I shocked myself -- that I was able to actually sit down, after years away from it (we're talking more than 20 years folks) and I could still draw a human figure! We're still going to outsource the detail work because I'm just not good enough for that. But, I'm still psyched! After years of typing and RSS, I can still accomplish something! We'll be saving up for a drafting table. We looked at some plans so R could make one of those for us.

And thank you VERY much Jenny for pointing to the empirical research. The last numbers I'd seen, from the NORC social survey weren't so bright and cheery! Whoopee! Isn't it great to make progress. Speaking of which, I told Doug awhile back that I was dissapointed that no one had time to celebrate the fact that affirmative action works! College-educated black women are outpacing white women in average pay rates. Did anyone notice that. This is such good news for us! Something we've advocated, it works!

I also read about some research the other day about the differences between black women's fraternities and white women's. White women focus on marriage and romance, while black sororeties focuse on careers. Good stuff. No surprise there, but it's good to see research.

On another side note, two actually:

1. are there folks here who do illustration? Or do you know anyone who does? We have a lead on something that would require a skilled illustrator, and I'm just not that skilled. We have a friend in Finland we're working with now, but I want to network with other folks since we just got an inquiry from a big corp to do their training programs.

2. Does anyone have a dog AND a cat? I mean, have you raised them from kitty and doggy-hood, together? We were adopted by a kitty in January. He showed up, ears all mangled, while we were refinishing some furniture in the garage. I fed him. Then, he just wandered in the house and made himself at home.

Four weeks ago, sonshine, who frequently just decides to clean the house, went to great lengths to _really_ clean the house. He usually sweeps, does dishes, vacuums, and cleans his room. This time, he was scrubbing the floors, cleaning baseboards, and his girlfriend was pitching in, cleaning the places that usually only moms and dads get to.

I should have known.

Two days later, he come home with a puppy. We're not supposed to have one. But I melted. Landlords never visit and sonshine has sworn an oath to replace the carpet if the landlords make us when we move. Fortunately, it's $2.99/square yard berber.

Anyone ever raise a kitty and a puppy together. Is there a good book about this? They are actually pretty funny, playing together. That cat sure likes to tease the dog. We think they are gay, too. :)

R has decided the dog needs a cork. We call him PHantom Pooper. He just drops one any old time he feels like it. I'm at my wit's end! Will this puppy outgrow it? I had a couple of dogs, but I don't remember them being so hard to train. Maybe we got them older? I

Answers off list since it's so offtopic!

Thanks!

-- "No tongue! I'm wearing lipstick"